Living responsibly when it comes to the environment has become more widespread over the last years. This is a wonderful challenge, but there are some challenges which you should know about before becoming zero waste. It is not an easy task to achieve, and your surroundings are important if you want to succeed. An important remark is that it is best to personalize your experience and not try to follow exactly the others. Only then will you be able to keep this lifestyle in the long term and enjoy it.
- There is no need to try and fit all of your waste in a jar – This is one of the typical symbols of the zero-waste lifestyle. You really don’t have to try or feel bad when you can’t do it. Know that realistically you cannot eliminate yours wastefully. It is more about the way you start to think and the positive impact that would follow from that.
- It will take you some time – It is crucial to take a sustainable approach when making such a big change in your lifestyle. Otherwise, you will burn out, and it will not last. You should begin with a few small steps, and when you feel that you are used to them, add some more.
- Don’t get rid of everything you already own – You really don’t have to go shopping for eco-friendly products right away. It is worse if you throw everything you have already bought away – you are creating a lot of unnecessary waste. Use the items you have and once it is really time to throw them away, do it and then upgrade something eco-friendly. Try to keep in mind the 3 R’s when going zero waste – Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.
- Some people might start acting differently around you – When you make a drastic lifestyle change, people will inevitably question your actions. They might make some comments or tell you that what you are doing is unnecessary. This usually is more common at the start and stops after some time – people get used to it. It is important to keep your ground if you believe in this lifestyle and the negativity will soon fade after your friends and family understand that you are not making them change their way of living and that you are doing it with good intentions.
- Learn to go with the flow – Lastly, it is important to consider that there will be times when things just won’t go according to plan. This journey is not about being perfect but about doing the best to impact the world positively. At the end of the day, this is all each of us could really do.